Return to the Academy - 8th March
Dear Parents and Carers,
Daily update on our plans for returning to the academy next week
- TESTING VIDEO
A few of our students have made a video which they thought might make other students feel better about taking the test. They made it very professionally themselves on a mobile 'phone! As can be seen in the video, mentioned in yesterday’s update, nobody will be trying to put swabs in your child’s throat or nose – students do it themselves with the guidance of trained adults. A lot of members of staff familiar to the students will be there to make the students feel more at ease. The link to the video is here
- STUDENT RE-INTEGRATION
Today Miss Barrett and Miss Ajayi took some of our students off after their tests to reintegrate them into the buildings and routine. Some students with particular needs or vulnerabilities may find return to the academy stressful or difficult and some may benefit from some assistance in re-integrating. If you consider that this is the case for your child and we have not already contacted you, please e mail us on email@example.com.
- TESTING TODAY
Today we tested years 10,12 and 13 students (and one or two siblings who turned up!) We managed to test 280 students with no mishaps! We have to thank the parent volunteers that helped us and those that will be helping tomorrow.
- Students should arrive at the green student gate at or around the selected slot
- Students will then be guided as to where to go and what to do next by members of staff they will know
- Students will take the test themselves guided by trained adults
- Students will be allowed to leave straight after the test - if there are no queues, the whole visit is likely to take between 5 and 10 minutes
- Parents or carers will be contacted if the test result is positive
- CLUBS AND ACTIVITIES
Today we finalised our clubs and activities timetable which reintroduces in a safe way many of the clubs our students were used to before lockdown. In order to make them safe we have bought more equipment and employed coaches and more supervisors so we hope that students will throw themselves back into the activities and experiences they have been missing.
- GETTING READY FOR THE FIRST DAY BACK
Years 10,12 and 13 return to normal academy life (other than COVID safety measures) on Monday 8th and years 7,8 and 9 on Wednesday 10th.
All normal academy rules apply; uniform, 'phones, behaviour, doing all their prep and so on.
Students should wear a black mask unless exempt; we have a small stock of black masks.
Students should remember their swipe cards, stationery, prep pack and prep books, and their PE kit if applicable.
Students will follow their normal pre-lockdown timetable.
Please note that some students in year 10 have PE on Monday.
Please remember to add some money to your child's parentpay account so they can use the canteen at lunchtime. ASll students can use the canteen at lunchtime although students are allocated a slot because we need to keep year groups apart. Please note that this may limit the amount of time students have in the canteen to buy and eat their food.
Due to COVID measures, the canteen can only be used at break time according to a rota; years 10,12 and 13 cannot use the canteen at breaktime on Monday.
Years 12 and 13 will take their second test during the academy day on 8th March
Year 10 will take their second test during the academy day on 9th March.
- PROVISION FOR THE CHILDREN OF KEYWORKERS
Please note that our provision for the children of keyworkers and vulnerable students will not run on Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th March because the academy is open as usual for years 10,12 and 13.
- ACADEMY UNIFORM, HAIR AND JEWELLERY
Please ensure that when students return to the academy on 8th (years 10,12 and 13) or 10th (years 7,8 and 9) March that they are in correct academy uniform. In particular, please ensure that students are not wearing, makeup, jewellery, earrings or any form of body piercing, nail varnish, false nails or false eyelashes. Boys’ socks should be black or grey and girls’ sock should be black, grey or white. The academy does not restrict any hairstyle, hair decoration or hair colouring but does not allow the wearing of bandanas. Please also ensure that shoes are appropriate. Any queries on uniform should be addressed with Mr Balogun on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- REMINDERS & LINKS
- The link to the TESTING consent form is here.
- The link to the year 9 options form is here.
- The link to the reflection form is here.
- The link to the testing video is here
- e mail any concerns or questions to email@example.com
- Priority One – Safety
- Priority Two – The mental and physical wellbeing of students and staff
- Priority Three – A smooth return into the educational and wider life of the academy
- Priority Four – Making sure any gaps in education caused by the lockdown are being addressed